By Shannon M. Barton-Bellessa
In line with popularity within the past due Nineteen Sixties and early Nineteen Seventies that conventional incarceration was once no longer operating, possible choices to straightforward criminal settings have been sought and built. a type of alternatives―community-based corrections―had been conceived within the Nineteen Fifties as a method that may end up extra revolutionary, humane, and powerful, rather with those that had dedicated much less critical legal offenses and for whom incarceration, with consistent publicity to critical offenders and occupation criminals, may well end up extra destructive than rehabilitative. the choice of neighborhood corrections has developed to develop into a considerable a part of the felony justice and correctional procedure, spurred in recent times now not lots by way of a innovative, humane philosophy as via dramatically expanding criminal populations, courtroom orders to "fix" overextended felony settings, and an financial look for price mark downs. even if neighborhood correction courses were in position for a few forty years now, up to now no accomplished reference source has tackled this subject. available and jargon-free and to be had in either print and digital codecs, the one-volume Encyclopedia of neighborhood Corrections will discover all facets of group corrections, from its philosophical origin to its present inception.
Features & Benefits:
- 150 signed entries (each with move References and extra Readings) are prepared in A-to-Z model to provide scholars easy accessibility to the entire variety of issues in neighborhood corrections.
- A thematic Reader's consultant within the entrance subject teams entries by way of wide topical or thematic parts to make it effortless for clients to discover similar entries at a glance.
- In the digital model, the Reader's advisor combines with a close Index and the pass References to supply clients with handy search-and-browse capacities.
- A Chronology within the again subject is helping scholars positioned person occasions into broader historic context.
- A thesaurus presents scholars with concise definitions to key words within the field.
- A source consultant to vintage books, journals, and sites (along with the extra Readings accompanying each one access) courses scholars to additional assets of their study journeys.
- An Appendix deals facts from the Bureau of Justice.